Sunday, September 14, 2008

PLATEFULS

It's Sunday morning and I'm a little groggy. The guy downstairs decided to play, no, blast, base-loaded hip hop last night at three in the morning. Yup, thanks. So I hope this blog makes sense. Regardless, my stove-top espresso and these pictures are softening my jagged nerve endings.

Here's a bit of what I' ve been doing with my spare time.
The great thing about substitute teaching is no marking, no preparation, and more time for cooking.





Shrimp and Coconut Curry
This one (above) is a new recipe I improvised from the Vij's cookbook. Vij's is an award winning Indian restaurant in Vancouver, which I am dying to try. Anyhow, the basic gist is puree two tomatoes and heat them in a saucepan with some spices. I used graham marsala, cayenne pepper, salt, and tumeric. Let the mixture simmer for about three to five minutes. Add half a cup of water. Simmer for another ten minutes. Add a cup of coconut milk and simmer for yet another ten minutes. Throw in 15 to 30 deshelled prawns and cook for four minutes. The prawns will turn pink. They really don't take long to cook.

Serve the prawns and curry bowls over brown rice along with steamed veggies.


Dinner on the deck
We bought and old ironing board at a thriftstore last week. It makes a perfect table.

4 comments:

  1. What's Bogue?
    Josh's one kitchen contribution (other than morning eggs) is the Vij's chicken curry. I highly recommend it! We've borrowed the Vij's cookbook from a friend, but Josh is stuck in a rut...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, the beer. I thought I made a typo and was looking through for a mention of Bogue. Anyhoo, it's some beer Caleb bought on our trip. I didn't love it but my beer palate is very selective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm.. shrimp and coconut curry. That is now on my to-cook list for next week. I have a bag of beautiful prawns sitting in my freezer just waiting.. OK Rach, next time you come to the mainland let's hit Vij's. Another place that I've also been drooling over.

    ReplyDelete