Monday, September 8, 2008

Reems Breakfast of Champions-

OK, I've had a reader request for the coveted Reems granola recipe.

Background here - The go-to-brekky of choice for any Reems is a good, hearty, home-made granola. This is the breakfast for champions.. and let's face it - for those of us who need nourishment to make it no, not until lunch time, but until that mid-morning-banana-muffin coffee break.

Now I realize that there are different types of cooks out there. Those that adhere strictly to the recipe, and the rest of us - those that choose to use a recipe as a helpful guideline, some suggestions that leave much to the cook's discretion. The past few weeks I have been living without any cookbooks and with stolen, intermittent internet. This makes for fun in the kitchen. This granola recipe is Reems-based, from my memory.

GRANOLA, REEMS BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS-

Step 1-
Combine your dry stuff- again, this is a guideline, fiddle with the amounts and the ingredients-

6 cups oats (Reems oat of choice is the large-flaked here but I suppose you could use quick oats)
1 cup bran
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup coconut (optional)
a good shot of flax seed
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup peanuts or almonds or pecans etc. etc.
good shot of cinnamon

Step 2-
Your wet stuff-
This should equal around a cup and a half to two cups. Combine the following in a glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave until hot. I have substituted Rogers Syrup for honey, I have also added a very runny plum jam (my first, and to date, only jam-making attempt). I am going to try a cup of apple sauce in here at some point. You could also use brown sugar instead of the honey. If you like a richer, sweeter granola you can up the honey and the oil.

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup water

Step 3
Combine until all the dry stuff is moistened. You can add a shot of water if needed.

Step 4
Spread over 2 cookie sheets. Bake in a low oven - maybe 250 degrees for an hour and a half or so (stir around a few times if you remember). If you like a drier, crunchier granola you can leave it in a turned off oven for awhile afterward. Otherise just let dry on the counter and then ladel into one giant container.

Step 5 (Sorry Heather).
Optional, but I feel that it would be criminal to miss this step. The raisin step. Add as many or as little as you like. For Calgarians - you may just want to add raisins in on a daily basis as I found that they dried out quickly. I love this with dried cranberries as well.

That's it. Now all you have to do is scoop yourself out a beautiful bowl of granola each morning. I eat mine with a few blueberries from the freezer, sliced banana and some plain yogurt.

Sorry about the lack of pictures here, our memory card does not like our laptop.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. I have taken to admitting the oil altogether. I don't notice the difference. Although, I think my dry mix is slightly different than yours.

    ReplyDelete