Friday, December 5, 2008

On a Veggie Note



Before I answer the bake-off call…

Haley, my co-blogger, wants cookie recipes. She berated me for slacking on the blog and hording food secrets. While I have not been writing I have been baking, and cooking, and, most importantly, eating. I have loads, mounds, bowlfuls, of cookie recipes. Cookies and all doughs sweet are my weakness, but before I web publish my Christmas treats, I will start the holidays on a veggie note. It is possible. Here is a gem I revised from the Rebar Cookbook: Mushroom Cashew Burgers. The Rebar recipe, Mushroom Pecan Burgers, provides the template for my recipe. I’ve adjusted the ingredients and the spices.


Mushroom Cashew Burgers

In some olive oils, saute:

1 red diced onion

1 tsp salt

¼ tsp chili pepper

Add:
4 cloves garlic, mined

1 1inch thumb ginger, minced

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp cardamom

1 tsp cayenne pepper

Saute until the mushrooms begin to release their juices and the pan begins to dry out.

Pour in:
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Continue to cook until the liquid evaporates. Take the mushrooms off the stove top and let them cool in a bowl.

Add:

1 ½ cups cooked brown rice

1 ½ cups grated carrot

Mulch the mixture in the food processor.

Return mixture to bowl and add:

1 cup cashews, roasted and mulched in the food processor (or however you wish to grind them)

2 cups fresh breadcrumbs

½ tsp cracked pepper

½ tsp ginger (powdered)

1 tsp brown sugar

2 Tbsp soy sauce

Mix and season to taste (you may add salt, pepper, cayenne, ginger, etc). Shape into patties and saute in your favourite skillet.

2 comments:

  1. It's about time. I'm pumped to recreate this in non-mushroom form due to picky Mikey. We'll see (because seriously, how can you replace a mushroom?).

    ReplyDelete