However, when I'm in my own kitchen, reading a recipe that calls for one cup of melted butter, I just can't do it. This recipe is a compromise. I'm not going to pretend that my fake hollandaise is as good as the thing, but for the ease of preparation, not to mention the cup of butter issue, this is the way to go. I have taken this recipe from Crazy Plates and doctored it a bit.
Enlightened Eggs Benny
1) Fry your bacon, or for a veggie option (see pic), slice some tomatoes
2)Make your Mock Hollandaise- Combine the following and heat in the microwave until warm (don't press start until your eggs are almost done, you want the sauce to be warm on your eggs). This is enough for three bennies, or 6 eggs.
- 1/4 cup light mayo (I insist that you use Hellmans 1/2 fat, no other light mayonnaise measures up).
- 1/4 cup light sour cream (Please buy light, not no fat. No fat equals no taste).
- 1 T lemon juice - the bottled worked fine but fresh would be the best
- dash cayenne
- pinch salt and pepper
- fresh dill - if you have it, but I can't do without anymore. Go down to your nearest garden centre and get some herbs for a pot on your deck or window sill.
- squirt of mustard - regular, dijon, or honey according to your taste
- 1 or 2 T water
3) Assemble your bennies on toasted english muffin halves. Two per good appetite. Layer as follows - Muffin, bacon (or tomato), egg, and smother with sauce. Garnish with extra dill and Voila!
All you need to round out your brekky is a nice cup of fair trade, heavy on the cream, coffee.