Monday, May 25, 2009

Chicken Salad Deliciousness


I love a good chicken salad sandwich. This is the lunch that proceeds a roast chicken dinner.. or my 'quick stop and pick up a roast chicken from Safeway after work because making dinner would take way too much effort' dinner. I covet chicken leftovers simply for a glorious sandwich. I have to admit that this is a purely selfish indulgence, as I am married to (gasp) a man who doesn't eat chicken.

I'm not going to provide a recipe, but more of a method.

First strip your leftover roast chicken. You want all the viable chicken that you can get. If you are really trying to get the most out of your bird you can use the remaining carcass for chicken soup. Next chop or shred your chicken.

Now for your saucy bit. This is a personal preference - do you like your egg salad wet or dry? I like to use equal parts mayo and yogurt. For seasoning I add to taste: salt, pepper, a bit of garlic powder, and a good pinch of curry powder.

Finally, you need your add-ins. I insist on something from the onion family - green onion is what I usually have handy, although you could go with finely chopped red onion or shallots. I also like to add a handful of slivered almonds or chopped pecans, and for the really adventurous souls I love the addition of sliced grapes.

Mix it all together, find a good bread, slice on some avacado (if you have it, it also stands on its own) and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment