Friday, February 19, 2010

I don't like meatloaf-

R1-
I loved your last post. Seriously, I went back frequently just to look at your finished brick chick. There is something about plucked whole chickens that make me alternate between feeling sorry and wanting to chuckle. Mom roasted a speciman a few weeks ago and judging by its position in the roaster, I was sure it was going to sprint the 100 meters, or I should say skate the thousand.

I have a good Olympic-viewing-cooking set up right now. I am working on my middle island counter-top, on the far end where I can view Mike's 42 inch flat screen baby. With the crowds cheering me on, I attempted to conquer an old nemesis - meatloaf (cue thunder and scary music)-

I'm just not that into meatloaf - I'll eat it, sure, but it's on that short list of things I'm not wild for. In the normal world this would be a non-issue- don't love it, then don't cook it. However, since Mike is the pickiest person I know (seriously, everytime somebody tells me that they are picky I just laugh - no one has even come close to Mikey). If Mike ever questions my love - which he may mentally do on a 'why didn't my children sleep last night' kind of grumpy day, then he just needs to look at the plethora of Mike-friendly meals coming out of my kitchen. A key player in his food loves is ground beef. No, nothing resembling a steak, nope, just chuck it into a blender for my manly man.

On my quest for ground beef creativity, meatloaf factors in - well behind the lovely meatball and the mighty hamburger, but eventually we get to meatloaf. In an attempt to tart up the conventional meatloaf I went on the offensive. I stuffed it. Boy, did I stuff it. And I have to say, even I, with a meatloaf aversion, thought that it was OK. The rest of the dinner table was more enthusiastic, Finn polished off two adult-sized servings with ease.

1) Make your basic meatloaf recipe. Now, I don't have a recipe per se, I am sure the wonderful world of google will give you lots of options. I will give you my meatloaf 'method.' Aside: a method not a recipe, therefore I am in no way responsible if your interpretation of my method is not awesome.

Haley's Mealoaf Method: Take some beef - I generally use 2 pounds which makes a good sized loaf. Then add some flavour, this varies as to my mood - I always add: salt and pepper, and garlic powder. I usually add: 1 small grated or finely chopped onion. I often add: dash of dijon mustard, barbecue sauce, and/or worcestershire and I occasionally add: grated carrot (if I'm feeling that we need to up the veggie in-take). Next I add about 1/3 cup of fine oatmeal or bread crumbs. Finally, most people add an egg to bind - I've done with and without and don't notice a difference- this time I added about 1/3 cup of tomato sauce instead.

2) Now for the Filling and Rolling-
If you're still with me - next, on a large cookie sheet lined with my silicon mat ( if you don't have one I would use foil or parchment), I patted the meatloaf mixture into a large rectangle - a bit bigger than a 9 by 13 pan. Then I spread one package of defrosted and drained spinach (you could use fresh, just cook it first), topped with about 2/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese. Then I rolled the whole baby up length-wise. Does that make sense? Rolling on the vertical to get a long skinny roll. Picture one giant sushi roll. If the meat crumbles just patch it back and keep going. I then put the whole roll on the middle of the cookie sheet (still on the mat) and baked it at 350 for an hour. Maybe 5 minutes before it was done I spread some tomato sauce on top. You could also top it with barbecue sauce or grated cheese.

In the meantime roast your potatoes and make a salad - You might just see me on the podium yet!

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the ug towards meatloaf, and I'm fully in the Mike picky eater camp... so I should enjoy this meat variation. However, you, once again have inspired me to try the loaf again... maybe stuffed with cheese would be tasty. We'll see what comes out of my kitchen this week. Keep up the fantastic work, Reems sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I don't usually like meatloaf that much either but I've found that it is also good with a sweet tomato chutney. Next time I'll have to try it with the spinach and feta too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, you two wonderful baking, cooking girls. Love your blog, the pictures are great, very inspiring.Whenever I get on the computer I check your blog to see what's new, keep writing, baking and cooking, you are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haley,


    you writing is fantastic, and you are starting to gather more than just family on your blog! fantastic job, you can write for my websites anytime!

    the other Mike c

    ReplyDelete