Thursday, February 4, 2010

Rach-
I know that the Reems table has never been a quiet one; when we were growing up there was much jockeying to get a word in edgewise at the chaotic dinner table. In order for one's story to be heard, it was not the contents that needed to be edited - no matter the excitement of the news, or the drama of the delivery- no, what was important was the sound volume. As our numbers increase with a new generation, the noise at our communal dinners is, if possible, getting louder. As excited two-year-olds wrestle in the family room, and Guy and Brent debate the merits of.. what I'm not sure, our voices raise in competition and companionship.

Now, with the dishes cleared away, the toys back in their boxes (waiting to be released come morrow), and the Reems' offspring back to their homes, a quiet has settled over Grandpa and Grandma's. Finn is in bed - complete with stories, hugs, and bungee cord to secure his door, and I am relishing the silence, but also the afterglow of time spent with family.

And, let's face it, I can't help but reflect on your cake. That glorious coconut poppy seed concoction of deliciousness. I need the recipe. I need to make that cake. I could write paragraphs about that cake but I am too tired to think coherently, let alone write so I am going to sign off.

Thanks for the cake.

1 comment:

  1. interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

    ReplyDelete