Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Potato Pancakes


Rach -

Brag away, I have to say those are beautiful buns. They're on my to-make list; I've been using your recipes - this weekend we devoured your chocolate blueberry cake and the eggplant skillet lasagna. Both were delicious.

And speaking of bumping social lives- Do you remember my solo date two weeks ago? Of course you do - since it was your husband that was ill and unable to attend the Victoria-Reems contingent's Belfry theatre night, and I scooped up his replacement ticket. The play/musical was hilarious and the company was top notch - my internal dialogue is nothing if not witty and self-indulgent. My only regret? You know what is coming next - I failed your dare. Yes, you know how I pride myself on meeting a challenge, yet at the last moment, as I stood in line at the intermission concession debating whether or not to follow through, I faltered, and instead of ordering the dared glass of wine I requested a bag of chocolate covered almonds. Next dare you give me- I'm on it.

Well, I've dated myself again, and yes, it was fabulous. The occasion? The Chilliwack library was hosting an evening with Gail Anderson-Dargatz. This had been marked on my calendar for many weeks. A lot of preparation (mostly mental) went into the evening: I'd worried about my babe not going to sleep without a pre-bedtime nurse; I bought a copy of The Cure for Death by Lightening at my local VV boutique; I'd plotted how early I was going to need to be there in order to get one of the 50 seats.. This was all unnecessary, as Mike had predicted, apparently Chilliwack is not a literary hot bed- about 25 of us were there, mostly white headed members of the library association. Gail was not put off by the intimate gathering and was suitably impressive - smart, funny, and personable. I was too nervous to ask a question, but was able to have a mini-chat later when I had her sign my book.

OK, lots of non-food related rambling going on, looks like a phone call may be overdue. Here's a quick and easy meal - Mike's favourite - potato pancakes. We never eat these with anything else like salad or bread. No, these are strictly for when you haven't planned dinner, but you do have a few potatoes and a husband that will make you queen for the evening if you keep these patties coming. This method makes enough for 3 people:

Grate:
3 yukon gold potatoes (or 2 large russets)
1 small yellow onion

Add:
2 eggs
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper

Fry - I use a non-stick griddle with only a bit of oil. I make sure that they are fairly flat so that there is no undercooked middle.

Eat - Mike likes them with a dollop of sour cream. Finn likes apple sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment