Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Buckwheat Waffles


Rach-

Finn is a little put out with you right now - he fully expects you to hop on the ferry on Thursday morning and pop over to Chilliwack for your birthday celebration. He was quite disconcerted to find out that the only participation he will have in your special day is card-making and well wishing. His almost-3-year-old egocentricity is in full-swing.

I still have a bag of buckwheat flour, just waiting to try your buckwheat bread recipe. In the meantime, I made buckwheat waffles. They turned out amazing, the best whole grain waffle I've made. I followed this recipe. My only changes (I couldn't resist a little tinkering) were to swap maple syrup with the sugar and to use whole wheat pastry flour in place of the all purpose. I doubled the recipe and served them with a raspberry sauce and more maple syrup. Yum.

My exciting find while making this recipe was a whim I had to use my hand-held immersion blender to beat the egg whites. My trusty soup puree-er and baby-food mashing side-kick came into use again. Inspired with this discovery, I successfully whipped up a cup of whipping cream later on in the day. One more piece in my lazy cook arsenal.

OK Rach, Have a great day on Thursday. Your card may make it to you next week, it might be a record. Might.

3 comments:

  1. Where does one buy buckwheat? We make multigrain waffles every two weeks or so, but a different flavour would make them much more interesting..

    Oh and Happy B-day Rach, Hales I think you should humour your three year old and take him to Vic for celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonja - I'm going to defer to Rach on the Victoria buckwheat source. We are spoiled here in the Wack and have Anita's Organic, which has every type of flour and grain that I am aware of. I would love to try your multigrain waffle recipe (I'm on a serious waffle kick right now). Maybe you could send me the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    Pretty much every grocery store (I don't know about true value and the co-op) carries buckwheat. It's usually in a smaller bag, which is fine as you'll use far less of it. The health food store in sidney also has a great selection of bulk flours.

    ReplyDelete