Thursday, September 16, 2010

Getting Sauced



Rach-

That got your attention didn't it? Apple sauced, that is. It's September, and we're deep into apples. I suspect that apple peeling is going to be annual photo shot. Just another way of sneaking kiddie photos into a food blog.

Here's last year's apple peeling pic. What a difference a year makes- from snoozing to sneaking apple peels -the little princess is turning one in a week today. And Finn is hard core into apple preparation (get it? core?). He asks me several times a day if he can peel apples, now if I could just channel that enthusiasm into laundry folding or toy pick-up..

The exciting (for me) difference between the two pictures is that I got smart and realized that the base of the peeler would suction onto my patio table. For indoor peeling I actually need to crank with one hand and hold the thing down with the other. We were seriously considering getting rid of the outdoor table and picking up a smaller table for the deck, but due to its secondary apple peeling function, the table has managed to stave off a purge.

I'm actually posting on cake, not sauce. Do you remember that mom had an almond apple cake recipe floating around the counter last year? I lost my old apple cake recipe and turned to the almond apple cake. Since I didn't have any ground or whole almonds I had to completely modify the recipe. In fact, I think that the only thing I kept the same was the topping. Which is good because I can't remember the original recipe source. It tasted great and in an effort to save this recipe for future repeats, I am blogging it.

For non-Reems-readers: Joan, our tiny little mom (she's small, I can almost fit her in my pocket), has a stack of various recipes newspaper clippings, torn magazine pages, and photocopied cookbook pages from work colleagues, all in a stack, usually on the counter by my parent's phone. I have a similar muddle of recipes in a basket at my house. I would hazard that 95 % of these recipes are never actually tried. However, it is great fun to browse through them - I often copy these recipes down and continue to not try them at my house.


Apple Cake

5 largish apples, peeled and sliced

Cake:

Mix together wet ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, melted
2/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract (optional, could use vanilla)

Then add dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt


Mix the whole lot together with 2/3 cup butter milk (Or do as I do and use regular milk with just shy of 1 T lemon juice).

Layer half of the apples in a greased 9 inch springform. Spread over half the batter (will be a thin layer). Next layer the rest of the apples and top with final batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min

Then top with topping and bake for a final 10 min

Topping:

Combine:
2 T melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup toasted chopped pecans or slivered almonds

8 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS that looks incredibly delicious! :) I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Haley.
    Are the apples from your parents apple tree. I remember doing some of your wedding shots in the family apple tree at your parents place.....
    Auntie Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! Love that it's all classic ingredients. We went to an apple orchard yesterday, so I'm excited to make all sorts of apple goodies, and this sounds like one we should try. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm,i agree it looks delicious-i will make it this weekend! love the new pink background to the blog ;) is that blue nail polish on finn? bahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy - good memory - no these were not Reems apples - though I hope to pick up some of those when I'm in Victoria over Thanksgiving!

    Rach- yes, that is blue nail polish, I was wondering if I would get any comments on that:) Mike requested that Grace stick to painting his toe nails next time (he LOVES having his nails painted by Gracie!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new look!! And Haley, yes, we will have to get together but Finn is not allowed to teach Koen any of his tricks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so good Haley, in fact I think I am going to make it today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm... looks delish - and I love Finn's nails. Love the new look to your blog too - awesome gingerbread man :)

    ReplyDelete