Saturday, September 18, 2010

No-Flip Barbecued Salmon


Rach (or Auntie Sach as you're known in these parts)-

First of all, we've often discussed our blog weakness - not our fabulous recipes and prowess in the kitchen, not our witty writing, nor our inflated egos - no, it is our photography skills, or lack thereof. However, we are getting better (if you disagree please go to our earliest posts). Your pics have reached the point where I've been secretly submitting some of your photos to the Foodgawking site. After a few were rejected I gave up; then I recently found out about Tastespotting and hoped that they would be friendlier to us amateurs. They were, and I am happy to report that you are no longer just a self-published food photographer you have made it to the fleeting world of food photography fame.

In Chilliwack, all anybody talks about is this year's record breaking Sockeye salmon run. I am feeling slightly nervous for the future of these mighty fish, for it seems that the entire Fraser Valley population is at the river with a fishing rod, or on the reserves getting a great deal. I was feeling that though a bit behind on the salmon mayhem, I needed to join in the excitement. So while Finn attended a 3-year old birthday party I made my inquiries. I felt that I had the right crowd - these were local Chilliwack-ians, the kind of people who would be able to direct me to my rock-bottom-priced, back-of-the-truck, fresh-off-the-river sockeye. The next thing I knew I was being given my party goody-bag, 3 nice packages of already filleted salmon from one of the next door neighbour's four stocked freezers.

You'll appreciate the thrill of free fish, and the added excitement of already filleted fish. While you and I, with the aid of Irma Rombauer's Joy of Cooking, have recently tackled a salmon filleting project, I was quite happy to turn this task over to Chilliwack's fishing elite.

I've made salmon a few times this summer, I was given some good advice from Julie, Mike's aunt, who uses a no-flip barbecuing method. I have always wanted to love salmon, but was never quite there. Julie's salmon changed this for me. I've tried this method a few times this summer with good success. I've deviated from her brown sugar marinade and used maple syrup, soy sauce and rosemary. The picture is a travesty, as it was taken earlier this summer with a poor old frozen Safeway special. The fish that graced our table last week was of a whole other caliber.

No-Flip Barbecued Salmon

You need at least 1 Salmon Fillet

Combine marinade (optional, you could just use lemon, salt, and pepper):
1 T chopped rosemary
1 T soy sauce
1 T (or so) maple syrup
pinch of pepper

Pour over salmon in dish. Cover and refrigerate for as much time as you have.

Put salmon on preheated (medium heat) barbecue grill, skin-side down. Cook with the lid down for 15 minutes.

Voila.

Stay tuned for another Krentenbroot update. We are in the midst of devouring our second loaf.

3 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds sooooo good. I haven't had salmon in so long. I'm definitely trying out this recipe soon! :) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, this is my fave way to make salmon, too. But I usually lay a sheet of foil down first - no cleanup. And a fresh sockeye needs no more than an olive oil massage and a sprinkle of s&p. sometimes I go crazy and add dill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Betty! Tin foil - so simple but so wise (Mike was complaining about the leftover fish skin that I forgot to scrape off the grill:)

    ReplyDelete