Monday, October 25, 2010

Seattle Eats



Hey Rach -

Seattle was great. The food was great. The Picasso exhibit was great. The concert was great. The football game? Well, the people watching was great. I know that you'll empathize with me, it's not that I dislike the actual football, it's just that there is so much standing around in between the moments of excitement. And it was wet and cold. Basically an NFL ticket is wasted on me - though there is something great and crazy about those nutty football fans - the spray-painted hair, the grandpas in full-face paint, the tail-gating - it's definitely a culture of its own. Poor Mike, he does try hard to nurture an appreciation of the game in his football-indifferent wife. I was a good sport though, and didn't even roll my eyes (well, outwardly) when he almost swooned at the excitement of owning a football helmet with various snack compartments (Please note to any Chilliwack football fans: There will be a Superbowl party at the Campbells' this year to warrant the purchase of said helmet, consider this your invitation).

OK, enough about football: the food. We didn't make it to your pizza joint yet, that's for our next visit. Mike has had the Swinery on his to-eat list for some time now, so we hit up West Seattle for an adventure in pork. I've included a photo of the man behind the barbecue, so that you won't miss the irony I was feeling in having a Hasidic-Jew lookalike prepare our pork products. Mike also took home a goodie bag of salamis and bacon-infused chocolates. The Danger fries were amazing, cooked in beef fat and topped with a bacon-infused bechamel sauce. They were voted top 5-heart-attack on a plate Seattle meals.

Other standouts included:

The Grand Central Bakery for breakfast - their cookbook is one of my frequent library favourites.

Lots and lots of coffee. Good coffee. Oh those Seattle-ans and their coffee.

I have to go. I'm recovering from the weekend and have to be at work tomorrow. It's time to attack a stack of library books (I have another novel by Muriel Barbury, author of Elegance of the Hedgehog - I haven't started it yet but the title, Gourmet Rhapsody, is promising ).

Here's a spoiler for my next post: It's spooky!

2 comments:

  1. May I make a comment if it isn't food related?!
    Totally jealous of the Picasso experience - are you creating a masterpiece yet?
    PS love the first pic and associated comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food un-related comments are also welcome! The Picasso exhibit was fabulous, it's in Seattle until January. I actually went solo on a whim - Mike waned nothing more than to watch football all Sunday morning, and I was more than happy for him to do so.. without me:) So I found myself at the Seattle Art Museum having a lovely time(we did hang out the rest of the weekend:)!

    ReplyDelete