Saturday, February 26, 2011

Breakfast BLT

My thick Alberta skin has been officially shed, now in our third year back on the coast, I greet any temperature near zero as a reason to hunker down with hot cocoa and a stack of books. However, times have changed, what with my busy schedule of kick-the-balloon-with-your-foot-pass with Finn, and dog-watching at the window with Coby, reading-time is now snatched in furtive bites. I spent a portion of today trying to be invisible, fearing that even breathing might remind nicely playing children that I was a present and available mother. Yes, attachment parenting at its finest.

We were sampling the Breakfast Sandwiches chapter of A Real American Breakfast on this chilly Saturday, and I am now declaring these sandwiches mandatory to assuage any longings for Spring.

Breakfast BLT
Adapted from A Real American Breakfast, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison

Herb Mayo:
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 minced fresh chives, basil, or a combination (instead I used a few teaspoons of leftover pesto)

4 english muffins
12 thick slices of bacon, halved and cooked crisp
4 thick slices red-ripe beefsteak tomato
salt to taste
4 fried eggs.

Prepare the mayo by mixing together the ingredients.
Split and toast the English muffins. Spread each half with a liberal T of the mayo. Arrange the lettuce on top of the muffin bottoms. Pile on equal portions of tomato and bacon. Top with fried eggs and crown with remaining muffin tops.
Confession: Coby spent the day in her PJs.

3 comments:

  1. `I spent a portion of today trying to be invisible'...love it:) We made the scrambled eggs with avocado last weekend! And as for breakfast BLT's, we are giant fans in the Chapman household!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the love for your line 'I spent a portion of today trying to be invisible' - hilarious and good luck with that :) We're all about breakfast BLT's (for some of us particularly picky people they're even better without the 'T'); however the herb mayo looks tasty so that might be a new addition. p.s. those grapes looked tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave is "attachment parenting at its finest". Hilarious. I hate to use the phrase "lol", but laugh out loud I did.

    These look delicious. I could never get myself together enough to make these for breakfast though. I'm thinking they'd work as Lunch or even Dinner BLTs?

    ReplyDelete