Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Grape Nuts Cereal




I love cereal; not only for it's sweetness, crunch, or thirst-quenching milk, I also dig the strange variety, the oddity of shapes and colours. Is this food? I've wondered upon seeing a string of various coloured Fruit Loops around a child's neck. My Fruit Loop necklaces never lasted long. I was invariably left with a soggy string. As a kid, I also dug the boxes. At breakfast, you could barricade your face, and suck back cereal while reading about magnifying glasses that could be ordered with box tops, or the specs of a sports hero who ate Corn Flakes EVERY day.


The trouble is, cereal isn't really very good for you. The list of ingredients is typically populated by words I cannot pronounce or define. Plus, cereal never tastes as good as I remember. Perhaps it's the additives or the long-shelf life, but the flavor is...off. Fortunately, I found out you can make cereal. Actually cereal. Not just granola. I found this recipe for cereal in the More With Less Cookbook. I love the Mennonites.


This cereal is actually delicious. It's crunchy and a little bit sweet and made with all whole-wheat flour. We devoured it.


Grape Nuts Cereal (Adapted from the More with Less Cookbook)


3 cups whole wheat flour


1/2 cup wheat germ


1 cup brown sugar


2 cups buttermilk


1 tsp baking soda


pinch salt


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the ingredients together in a large bowl. Grease two cookie sheets and spread half of the mixture over each sheet. You want to spread it out as much as possible.


Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let the giant crackers cool of ten minutes, then brake them into irregular pieces (large shards is good). Then bake them again, lowering the heat to 250 degrees for another 20 minutes or until they are crisp.


Let cool and then whir the pieces in a food processor.


Enjoy with milk.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a healthy cereal option for the kiddos so I'll try this for sure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, I'm going to try these sometime. You guys are great!! I follow your blog everyday. Keep up the good work. Maybe you guys should start a baking business!!

    ReplyDelete