Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Greek Chicken Meal Plan

I'm in my final two months of pregnancy - with two cranky monkeys ready to greet me after a day of daycare excitement, the last thing I want to do after a day of work is cook a big meal. I realize I shouldn't be complaining - I only work half time, and today is my Friday. On Tuesdays I rarely rise beyond a quick stir fry, or calling in my back-up dinner strategy - Mike making tacos. Today may appear like an exception to that rule - but it's a trick. This is a quick and easy meal plan.

Greek Chicken Meal Plan

1) Walk in the door - instead of heading for couch you need to go directly to the kitchen. This will require husband back-up support for childcare, or in lieu of, a cartoon will due in a pinch.

2) Dump your chicken in a bowl and sprinkle on some salt and pepper, dried oregano, a few tablespoons of lemon juice, and if you have the energy, some minced garlic. You can use whatever chicken cuts you want, today I cooked little drumsticks, I can't tell you what weight - maybe 8 drumettes.

3) Put some rice onto cook. I add a scoop of msg-free powdered chicken base for some flavour. This is not a time for brown rice, we're talking about a time-factor.

4) Put chicken on the barbie

5) Take some asparagus and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt. When you go to flip your chicken over add the asparagus to the grill.

5) Make your yogurt sauce. This is a flexible sauce, you can add or subtract ingredients as you like. Today mine included: about 1 cup yogurt, 1 T lemon juice, 1 T olive oil, 1 chopped fresh dill, 1 T chopped chives, a sprig of fresh oregano, and aprox 1/4 cup crumbled feta. Finally add salt and pepper to taste. Chop extra fresh herbs (if using) to sprinkle on your rice. You could also take this time to make a quick salad if you have the inclination.

6) When your chicken is grilled almost to perfection take half the sauce and put a tablespoon or so on each piece. Leave on the grill for a last few minutes and then using your brand new silicon tongs (sorry, that was me), pile your chicken and asparagus on a platter.

7) Sprinkle the remaining chopped herbs on your rice and serve along with the chicken, asparagus, reserved half of the sauce, and your salad. I like to add a scoop of sauce onto my rice, though you can also give your chicken an extra douse.

The chicken was so good that after 6 months of abstaining, Coby rekindled a love for poultry.

You might correctly surmised that my herb garden has been planted; you can substitute dried herbs, but I love fresh dill in the sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Dill! That's the herb I forgot to plant! Thanks, Hales.
    I really must talk to you before you have this third cutie. Ridiculous that it's been months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literally Mike's and my conversation went like this tonight:
    Me: So Haley barbecued her chicken legs. Should I do that?
    Mike: Not with those, she probably pulled off the skin first.
    Me: Really?
    Mike: You'll need a spray bottle to spray down the flames.
    Me: Never mind, I'll just roast them in the oven with barbecue sauce.

    So my questions for you is: I'm with you on the back up plan of tacos and the kids occupied with a cartoon... but do you pull the skin off first? If not, how do you prevent the flames my husband predicts?

    Thanks in advance for your help - chicken is on sale right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali - I did pull off the skins. For those little drumsticks I literally just pull them off. I don't love handling chicken too much but it really easy, and strangely satisfying, when they pop off (Just pull down toward the bone). I don't use a spray bottle - I'm just venturing into the world of grilling, I have generally played the typical female and left that for Mike, but the reality is that often he comes home from work just in time for dinner, or I want to barbecue when he's away because it's oh so easy to clean up after. So this is new in my life and I shouldn't be preaching on grilling technique. That said, this time I turned the nob for the side that the chicken was on down to med, and kept the other side at high. I'm always a bit nervous about chicken and like to stab a thick looking one before I finish just to make sure it's not still pink.

    Heather. Let's talk soon - I work Tues and am then off for the week..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for settling the "does she/doesn't she" pull off the skin debate. Agreed that bbq is sooo much easier to clean up after. Though we ran out of propane tonight as the kids hotdogs were hotdogging. So it's off to get more (that's Mike's job) and I'll get the chicken and then I'll tackle your delish looking dish :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete