Friday, July 16, 2010

Feeding your 3 year old


Well Rach-

While you're off frolicking on the continent, I am pulling my lone editorial weight and will be doing some parent-friendly posting. Today's post will be on feeding your 3-year old. Now, I've only actually been feeding a three year old for about a month, so I suppose a more apt title would be feeding your small child.

Now as I write this I realize that I am fortunate, no I am blessed, in having a 'Good Eater.' Sharing snack and mealtimes with a toddler is fraught with enough drama and mental energy, that if any readers have picky eaters my heart goes out to you. Here are some ideas that are working for me-

1) Dip. If you want your child to eat veggies, or pretty much anything, try incorporating a dip into the meal. Homemade tzatziki has been one of my favourites nutrition wise, but in a pinch ranch dressing is the answer. I often mix equal parts of ranch dressing and yogurt.

2) Cucumbers, especially cucumbers and dip. I've never been a huge cuke fan, but I'm coming around. They are the easiest veggie to give a quick rinse and slice. They are easy for kids to hold and eat. Lunch at our house almost always has a side of cucumbers.

3) Assume that your child likes things. They'll be quick to tell you if they don't like something, but if you present new things without a fuss they might surprise you - Finn's been eating sushi since he was one.

4) Melted cheese. Finn will eat almost anything that has melted cheese on it. I'm slowly trying to make the switch from orange cheddar to white cheddar, I keep hearing awful things about dyes. Pizza buns for lunch are a great way to sneak in some veggies.

4) Pancakes. You can put lots of things in pancakes - banana, squash, oatmeal, grains.. Even most picky eaters like pancakes. I top them with plain yogurt, nuked frozen blueberries, and a bit of maple syrup. I used to good ol' Aunt Jemima but have been coming around to using natural sweet sources in place of manufactured ones.

5) Popsicles. In the summer you can't go wrong with homemade juice popsicles. I have a confession. If I need 10 minutes to myself I send Finn onto the deck with an 'ice pop.'

6) Chop veggies fine and cook until soft - big chunks in stir fries, sauces, or stews are just begging to be taken out. If the texture is fairly consistent than Finn won't notice the veggies. If your child is picky you could take this a step further and puree veggies to add to sauces (yes, I have to do this for my husband).

7) This is a big one - and often a royal pain- but child participation in the food preparation goes a long way in their willingness to eat what they've helped to make. Finn helps with certain jobs: mixing, mashing bananas, even grinding my coffee beans. That said, having a 'helper' doubles or triples the time and mess involved, so I often stick to nap-time dinner prep if I'm pressed for time.

8) Fruit for snack - sweet and tasty. My children would eat fruit all day (and sit on the you-know-what-all-night) if I let them. If your child doesn't love fruit, maybe be a bit adventurous and try some new ones. I freeze blueberries in the summer and add them to porridge every morning, put them into yogurt and use them for baking. My friend makes her kids smoothies with fruit and yogurt and they get a lot of fruit in that way.

9) Homemade is best. I know that you know this, and if homemade isn't your thing don't hate me too much, but remember that packaged foods have lots of sodium, additives, sugar. From boxed cereals to granola bars to crackers. Now I feel mean - But even if you don't bake you can cut back on packaged food in-take - fruit and veggies are the ultimate non-packaged foods. Or trade with your best friend who loves to bake but hates to clean. I would totally trade a batch of cookies for a mopped floor.

10) Plain yogurt. You can ignore this one if you want, I know that those tubes of yogurt are awesome.. however (angel on shoulder admonishing you).. flavoured yogurt has lots of sugar. Lots. I like to control 'invisible' sugar intake and add jam or honey to sweeten it myself.

11) Play with food. Make sandwiches into faces. Finn and I like to put on Raffi's Banana Phone and have a little dance party whilst eating our bananas (yes, I am an embarrassing mother - Finn has started realizing this and has to at times remind me in public 'Don't Dance Mommy'. It's not my fault, all my best moves come from rocking the oldies with my dad or from Barbie Dance Party). Check out Pancake Dad if you really want some cool pancake ideas.

OK, that's all I have right now. This is one post that I would love to create some dialogue on - feeding your child is unfortunately not a formula, and I know that everyone reading this who is currently feeding, or has fed a small child, will have ideas for me and other readers. So please comment with any great strategies!

Stay tuned for: Feeding you baby. And maybe, if I can hide from Mike for a few days: Feeding your picky partner.

10 comments:

  1. Haley, I so agree with your point on number 9. I would trade many many batches of cookies for a mopped floor. too bad you don't like to clean either. Maybe we could just trade cookies. ;) Are you back in town? We just got back last night, would love to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree on all of those. I would add to prepping the food with your kids..I would say growing it in your garden (even herbs!) is a great way to get kids to eat their veggies. Fortunately my kids love anything and everything but I think it's because we exposed them to so many different things early on. Although, strangely, Kai does not like melted cheese. Crazy kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Kylie - cookie trade it is - too bad about our floors though:)

    Louise, good call on the growing veggies. Finn ate his own weight in cherry tomatoes last summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, i was howling at #11. and really - the cheese dyes are that bad? Can I feel better that i stick to marble?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haley, so often we are on the same page - even with the dancing tho I hadn't heard of Raffi's Banana Phone song, and now must google it as I thought i knew them all. Feeding our 3.5 yr old is constantly evolving - we too feed her everything we eat; but i daresay she eats better than me? Miss Q loves her dip: mustard (just plain yellow); sour cream; taziki (sp?) and the big whopper- hummus - got to love a girls with garlic breath :) She adores veggies - especially red peppers, which makes me wish for a green house! But she isn't keen on breakfasts all the time and for those days i make her a pb & j sandwich - it's not her go-to food; but it's just different enough from her usual breakfast offerings that she'll eat it and, more importantly it squelches the spazzy grumps that come from an empty stomach. I too am on a quest to reduce the sugar/preservative content - especially after watching Food Inc... tho marbled cheese is still in my grocery cart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. can't wait to read the husband exposé :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these points are so true. I'd like to add "put it on a stick" as another point. I keep bamboo skewers (and toothpicks are a good runner up if you don't have skewers) and put all kinds of things on them--fruit chunks, cheese and sausage, vegetable chunks, even chicken souvlaki is more appealing than just plain cooked chicken! You can always add a dipping sauce too, and it makes mealtime fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria and Ali - I'm definitely still packing marble in my grocery cart - only half the dye..I'm sure that as soon as I work down to all white cheese there will be something new to stop eating..

    Ali - I'll have to give hummus a go- Incidentally, my mom is the queen of hummus. Well, maybe outside of the Middle East

    Monica- food on sticks. Of course! Brilliant! I can't wait to get going on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would firmly agreed to all you said!! minus the dip comments, Asher does no sauces, including maple syrup and ketsup, usual favorites of toddlers. Asher is a good veggie eater, we struggle with getting him to eat protein. We started him on Tofu, beans and nuts at a very young age. He has been chewing on whole almonds since he was one, seriously:0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah - blast from the past! It's great to hear from you. I am kind of wishing that Finn wasn't so into ketchup - another mommy-guilt item as I keep reading how many chemicals are in it:). Oh well, I guess do as I say not as I do since Mike and I love our condiments!

    ReplyDelete