Saturday, July 24, 2010

Veggie Wars

Rach - I'm envisioning you and Caleb in a little French cafe -sipping cafe au lait, eating pastries, all while C plots where to find a French thrift store- if they in fact they exist- if they do I'm sure that Caleb will soon be sporting a 'new' circa 1970s Parisian cardigan. We are also holidaying right now. I use the term 'holidaying' because we really are living the good life - we are staying in the Okanogan in a 2 bedroom air conditioned cottage, on a golf course, with a plethora of pools. I have to confess a twinge of Dutch guilt that we aren't spending the week camping in our new 1976 Trillium, but Coby's addiction to consuming dirt, rocks and sand is making me thankful that our camping this summer will consist of a few days at Cultus in August.

Several days after posting my admittedly smug expose on what to feed your 3-year-old, the following conversation occurred between me and my 3-year-old -

Finn: I don't like vegetables
Me: Vegetables taste good
Finn: No, candy tastes good
Me: Vegetables make you grow strong
Finn: I am strong

At this point I conceded. Round 1 Champion: 3-year-old

Round 2

Fortunately, Finn's definition of a vegetable is still abstract. I leveraged this to my advantage in serving him (with no mention of the V-word) tomatoes and yam fries (with dip of course). He also pounded back a plate of gnocchi with pesto and broccoli for lunch today.

Round 2 Champion: Mommy

3-Year-Old Yam Fries

1) Peel, then thinly slice a yam into thin wedges. IMPORTANT: MUST LOOK LIKE FRENCH FRIES

2) I used an average sized yam and tossed it with about 2 tsp of olive oil and a good sprinkle of sea salt.

3) Roast at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes- stirring every 10 minutes or so. Make sure that you flip them all to get some crispiness.

These taste great with Spicy Yogurt, or Finn's condiment of choice: ketchup.

10 comments:

  1. Haley - I loved this post - hilarious!!

    Bev :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, yam fries! My favorite dip to go with these is half mayo, half yogurt, some pressed fresh garlic, a dab of chipotle puree and some salt. Sometimes I throw in some fine minced cilantro if I've got any lying around.

    On a side note, chipotle is the most amazing stuff!

    Keep up the yummy posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just caught up on your blog, thanks for the tip on feeding your child...mine is one of those picky ones...but pancakes are a FAVOURITE! I'll have to try the adjustments to the recipe...

    Mieka won't eat anything pureed or mixed together. Doesn't matter how fine the veggie matter is, it is picked out and put aside. I think part of the problem is a frustration with using a fork and spoon. Any tips on how to develop that skill?

    Also, anyone ever made ketchup and have a good recipe?? (easy and fast being substitute words for "good")

    Thanks for the tips Hales, I often feel like my entire day revolves around food...

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason - thanks for the chipolte dip - I have some dried but definitely need to buy some canned (Rach has a post on this somewhere in the archives, a Rebar tip on pureeing them and keeping them in your fridge that I need to try)- your dip is the push I'm needing!

    Sonja - I know, a lot of my day is spent feeding these two monkeys (need to start easing Coby off nursing:). I too am wanting a homemade ketchup - when we get back I think I'll get going on this- our tomato crop should be ready in the next few weeks to help me out with this. Also, I keep meaning to post rhubarb muffins for you, I just need to make sure I have all the amounts right:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is not about feeding your children. I have tried to do this but have failed. I now am trying to educate by modeling healthy eating, you know I try not to gag when eating veggies, all that good stuff and hope that this may catch on one day. Although after 12 years of marriage my hubby has not caught on yet. Sigh.

    OK on to something fun. My niece Jenna told us (Mike and I) at McDonalds she orders a $1.39 McDouble and a $1.39 McChicken. Then she pulls the patties of the McDouble apart and puts the ENTIRE McChicken in there (including the bun) to form 1 delicious sandwich. I have to give it to her the McGangbang (terrible name) is now my favorite! (if you can think of a nicer name, let me know) Everyone who likes food should try this at least once!
    Miss ya Hales, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and just to let you know, I once ruined the only homemade cookie my son would eat by adding 1/2 cup yams to the recipe. He insisted the cookies tasted like bones. Yes bones! Yes, my boy is going to be a cognac taster, perfume smeller or maybe just a picky eater! but this mama is not going to try to hide anything in something that he actually eats for fear that the 6 things he eats will turn into 5! Good luck to ya all and I love reading the posts and progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Christina - you crack me up, I like the modeling healthy eating plan. I think that our Mikes do get a few veggies in thanks to us:). And I have spent enough meal times with you guys to appreciate the difficulty and creativity to feeding your picky, or should I say 'discerning' (and so cute) little man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I forgot, optionally a bit of fresh lime-juice is a good addition to the dip (especially if you're adding the cilantro).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! You have your work cut out for you, what with your picky husband and son - lol. Hopefully Miss C will follow in your footsteps :) Miss Q l-o-v-e-s her veggies, so for us, keeping them on the table before dinner is the problem. I will be trying out that yam fries recipe and adding sweet potatoes to the mix as I fear Miss S has received my taste buds and is selective in her veggie eating.

    ReplyDelete