Friday, October 1, 2010

Rice-stuffed Acorn Squash


Rach-

Well, we made it though back-to-work week. There were some low points: mostly involving stumbling out of bed and WAKING BABIES at 7am (sleeping babies were not made to be woken), but there were some high points: mostly involving adult conversation and a lunch hour ALONE. Meals at our house this week were also surprisingly well-organized. Planning has never been a strength of mine, so here's hoping that I can continue to keep on top of things. I know from experience, that it's when I have no plan that we start eating omelets and grilled cheese for dinner.

I have to 'fess up - acorn stuffed squash was not a work-day meal. While not difficult, the roasting does take a bit of time. The beauty of this dish is that the squash was so tender that I could spoon large chunks from my 'squash bowl' directly into Coby's greedy little paws.

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Slice 2 squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place flesh-side down on an oiled cookie sheet. Roast for 45 min to an hour (until soft).

Prepare the filling: You can be creative here.

I sauteed:

  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms

To this I added:

  • 1 cup cooked rice, (cooked in chicken broth - I just put in a T of Epicure chicken broth, it has no msg or sodium, veggie broth would be a good vegetarian option)
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (chopped pecans would be a good alternative)
  • 1/4 cup water (or more if the mixture looks dry)

Season the filling:
  • salt and pepper (My chicken stock is sodium-free so I have to use an extra bit of salt, be careful if yours isn't)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I know, I already added garlic cloves, Joan has passed on to me this irrational love of garlic powder)
  • 1/3 tsp sage (or poultry seasoning)

I removed the filling from the heat and added some crumbled goat cheese.

I then filled the squash halves and baked the lot for about 20 min, again at 350.

And if you have a picky eater you could just fill his with rice and goats cheese. So boring, but who can understand the ways of the picky? Not I, I just enable.

This is linked to: Vegetarian Fridays

5 comments:

  1. Let me guess. The picky eater was NOT Finn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're nurturing the picky eaters in your life. Makes this picky eater who's been admiring this recipe from afar, all the while knowing she wouldn't touch it with a wooden spoon, feel happy. Glad your first week back went without a hitch. I agree, babies were not made to be woken. Perhaps you could just tell your boss that and come in once Coby and Finn are fully rested :) Yeah, probably wouldn't go over very well where I work either. I do agree, the perk of having dinner without feeling like it was inhaled in stages is very delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is awesome! I love that you do it together as a way to communicate. Makes me think I should do something like this with my best friend who is a food writer but scared of starting a blog who lives in another country. I'm so glad you linked up at Vegetarian Foodie Fridays this week. I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria - no my children are surprisingly not picky.. fingers crossed:) We are trying to shield them from their daddy's 'selective taste buds.'

    Ali - you and Mike could be in a club. Though the picky eaters club could not actually eat together, because no one would actually like the same thing. You would have to go to a buffet. A really big one:) Ah, these babies, just when they start sleeping better the waking up starts!

    Melodie - Thanks, I was having fun checking out some new recipes I want to try, I will be back:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! When can I come for dinner? Unfortunately my picky eater doesn't like rice!

    ReplyDelete