Friday, March 2, 2012

The Duck - Part 1

Duck Wednesday finally dawned- February 29th - when the calendar gifts you an extra day, what better way to spend it than to cook a duck?

First things first, I needed a duck. When Rachel first proposed the duck challenge I did some sleuthing, and discovered that in order to cook a duck in Chilliwack you need to go to the Duck farm. That is, the Fraser Valley Duck and Goose farm which is located in Yarrow, a scenic little village outside of Chilliwack. I had idyllic images of the duck and geese flock meandering through the countryside. This was going to be great - what a learning opportunity for the kids - from the farm to the table.

Duck Wednesday arrived - the predicted snow/rain was nowhere to be seen- everything was in alignment for the perfect outing. The baby had napped, the snacks were prepared, the camera charged, and with children all snug in the mini van, we were off.

We had the perfect country drive. First great thing - the train. Unlike many Canadians, I have never lived in a town bisected by the railway. While I still do an inward groan when those railway lights start flashing, the kids are always overjoyed at the sight of a train, and I am once again reminded to stop being a grump and to enjoy the little things. After counting cars and speculating on the contents, our party proceeded. We saw bald eagles in trees, at least 10. We passed a gravel pit. We discussed where gravel comes from. We passed a hydro truck - we talked about Chief (Grandpa Campbell, our family lineman). We played the tractor game (not hard to do in Chilliwack, first one to spot a tractor wins). And at last, after a few more curves in the road - there it was, the Duck farm. To greet us, in the open field in front of the farm was the biggest bald eagle that I have seen. I decided it was a statue and turned into the farm.

Now, at the sight of the farm my romantic notions of running among the duck flock vanished, this was no mom and pop operation. No, this was a parking packed with employee cars at a full-on duck and geese operation (in fact I suspect that Fraser Valley Duck and Goose is the primary Yarrow employer). So with nary a feathered fowl in sight we entered the little store and selected 'The Duck'. It was fresh and ready for my oven. The duck lady was helpful in the selection process but not so helpful in my request to actually see the live ducklings.


 

While driving away I did see a bird of a different sort:  the eagle was not a statue. He had moved- and the beady stare he gave seemed to acknowledge us - from one Duck connoisseur to another (upon moving to Chilliwack Mike and I have been educated that you will spot the most bald eagles at chicken farms, waiting for the 'remnants', I inferred that an eagle at a duck farm would be operating in the same carnivorous-ish fashion).

Duck Life Lesson #1 - It's often about the journey, not the destination.

To be continued.... 

(I know the suspense is driving you crazy right now)



1 comment:

  1. You're right. The suspense is very nearly tossing me off the couch into a death-like posture. Wow. What's going to happen to that naked bird? Will the eagle return in part two (some kind of strange omen)? Will Mike take a bite? Might Mike actually like duck?

    I have duckbumps.

    ReplyDelete